It lives mainly in the rocky Mediterranean floor, weighting from 2 to 50 kg. There are also groupers in the Atlantic Ocean but they are smaller.
They are oval and flat and their mouths are wide and full of teeth. Its skin, scales and meat are very hard, the first one being inedible. It’s dark coloured. It’s fished all year round, being it the most appreciated fish in submarine fishing. It can be preserved for a long time but it has many scraps.
A ration is approximately 250 gr.
It’s cooked mainly in slices on a grill, “a la molinera” or in some different sauces. Different cuts (supreme, steaks) can be taken from larger fishes.
It’s a semi-oily saltwater fish.
- Aromatic herbs
- Big game hunt
- Bread and pastries
- Canned goods and pickles
- Condiments, spices and additives
- Cooked, salted, preserved and cold meats
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Dry pulses
- Edible oils and vinegars
- Eggs and derivatives
- Feathered game hunt
- Fish cuts
- Kitchen and bakery tecniques
- Kitchen and bakery utensils
- Meat cuts
- Milk, cream and derivatives
- Pasta, rice, flour and derivatives
- Service techniques
- Service utensils
- Vegetables cuts
- Vegetables, fruits, tubers and seaweed